COMMISSION ON ACCREDITATION FOR
LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES, INC. (CALEA)
The Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA®) was created in 1979 as a credentialing authority through the joint efforts of law enforcement's major executive associations:
- International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP);
- National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE);
- National Sheriffs' Association (NSA); and the
- Police Executive Research Forum (PERF).
Specifically, CALEA’s goals are to:
- Strengthen crime prevention and control capabilities;
- Formalize essential management procedures;
- Establish fair and nondiscriminatory personnel practices;
- Improve service delivery;
- Solidify interagency cooperation and coordination; and
- Increase community and staff confidence in the agency.
This accreditation program provides law enforcement agencies an opportunity to voluntarily demonstrate that they meet an established set of professional standards which:
- Require an agency to develop a comprehensive, well thought out, uniform set of written directives. This is one of the most successful methods for reaching administrative and operational goals, while also providing direction to personnel.
- Provide the necessary reports and analyses a CEO needs to make fact-based, informed management decisions.
- Require a preparedness program be put in place so an agency is ready to address natural or man-made critical incidents.
- Are a means for developing or improving upon an agency's relationship with the community.
- Strengthen an agency's accountability, both within the agency and the community, through a continuum of standards that clearly define authority, performance, and responsibilities.
- Can limit an agency's liability and risk exposure because it demonstrates that internationally recognized standards for law enforcement have been met, as verified by a team of independent outside CALEA-trained assessors.
- Facilitates an agency's pursuit of professional excellence.
In August 2018, the Addison Police Department proudly announced the successful reaccreditation of the Department. The Addison Police Department received the highest honor, "Accreditation with Excellence," from the Commission based on the assessment of their Department. They are among only a small portion of agencies internationally to receive this prestigious award and the 5th agency in the State of Illinois. The Department has been accredited with CALEA since 2000.
The Addison Police Department continues to be in the top 1% of law enforcement agencies in the nation to be accredited with excellence. Over 18,500 agencies in the United States are eligible to participate in the voluntary accreditation process to demonstrate meeting established professional standards. This effort was accomplished through a total team effort of the agency with the support of the Mayor, Village Manager and the Village Board of Trustees.